Loyola Law School
University of California, Los Angeles
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science (1993)
- Cum Laude
- Dean's List
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Business Section
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Former Board of Trustees
- Former Chair, Membership & Marketing
- Former Chairman, Barristers Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Business Section
- Real Property Section
- Member, Executive Committee for
Encino II Group
- Former Member, Executive Committee for Westwood I Group
- Santa Clarita Bar Association
- Valley Community Legal Foundation
- Former Board of Directors Member
- Former Fund-Raising Committee Member
- Former Law Day Gala Sponsorship Chairman
- The Executives
- Top 40 Under 40, by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal
- Southern California Rising Star, Los Angeles Magazine's Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2008; 2010, 2011
- AV 5.0 Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Kevin E. Rex provides business and corporate counsel to high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs, corporate executives, privately held businesses, family owned businesses, and mid-market companies in a variety of industries.
Integrating diverse services and wide-ranging skills into his broad corporate, business and real estate practice, Mr. Rex structures, negotiates and handles complex transactions. His more than 15 years at Lewitt Hackman includes hands-on experience in:
- Managing transactions ranging from a few hundred thousand dollars to a hundred million dollars in California, nationally and internationally;
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting documentation relating to mergers and acquisitions, buying and selling businesses, joint ventures, revenue sharing, and other business arrangements;
- Advising clients on shareholder, member, or partner buy-ins and buy-outs, and employment or consulting agreements related thereto;
- Working with clients to resolve shareholder or partnership disputes, as well as other issues relating to multi-party ownership;
- Assisting entrepreneurs with the formation of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies, including the financing and continued operation thereof,
- Strategizing with clients on different options and alternatives relating to difficult operational or business decisions;
- Buying, selling and leasing real estate and equipment;
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting documentation relating to distribution arrangements, employment relationships, loan agreements (both personal and business loans), and other contractual matters;
- Licensing intellectual property and other technology to third parties; and
- Counseling clients regarding business succession issues as well as the transfer of assets from one generation to the next generation.
Mr. Rex represents Firm clients in all aspects of company ownership in very diverse industries.
After negotiating hundreds of millions of dollars of transactions over the course of his career, Mr. Rex has received numerous honors. Los Angeles Magazine's Super Lawyer Edition named him a Rising Star from 2005-2008 and in 2010-2011. The San Fernando Valley Business Journal recognized Mr. Rex as one of the Top 40 Under 40 professionals in the Valley. He is rated AV 5.0 Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating awarded by peers of the bar and judiciary for legal ability and ethics.
Mr. Rex presents seminars to business owners and financial professionals on such topics as, "Considerations When Buying and Selling a Business", "How to Protect Your Intellectual Property for Little or No Money", "Estate Planning Myths and Realities", and "Contract Issues for Businesses". He also publishes numerous articles in the Los Angeles Daily Journal, The San Fernando Valley Business Journal, and other Southern California publications
Mr. Rex is a member of the State Bar of California, the San Fernando Valley Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the American Bar Association and Provisors.
He served as a Member of the Board of Trustees of the San Fernando Valley Bar Association (the SFVBA) for four years, as the Chairman of the Barrister's Section of the SFVBA for three years, and as a chair of the Membership and Marketing Committee of the SFVBA for two years. He has been a member of Provisors since June 2006 and has served on the executive committees of both the Encino II and Westlake I groups of Provisors.
For a number of years, Mr. Rex was also a Member of the Board of Directors of the Valley Community Legal Foundation (VCLF) of the SFVBA. He served multiple years on the Fundraising Committee of the VCFL and served multiple years as the Chairman of Sponsorships for the annual Law Day Gala.
Mr. Rex graduated Cum Laude from the University of California at Los Angeles with a major in political science, and was on the Dean’s List at UCLA. He attended Loyola Law School, Los Angeles and is currently admitted to practice in the state courts in California, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Co-Author, Gifts that Keep on Giving: The 411 of Gift Taxation
- Valley Lawyer, a Publication of the San Fernando Valley Bar Association, April 2012
- Co-Author, Selling a Family Business Without Selling Out the Family
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, March 2011
- Co-Author, Courts Side with Non-Solicitation Agreements when Narrowly Defined
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, May 2010
- Author, How To Maximize Your Price When Selling A Business
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, October 23, 2006
- Co-Author, Planning for the Future Success of Your Business: Succession and Exit Strategies
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, March 27, 2006
- Co-Author, Family Business Planning for the Future
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, March 28, 2005
- Co-author, Cohabitation: Contract or Conduct Can Determine the Settlement
- Lawyer’s World, 1997
- Presenter, Get it In Writing: Contract Issues for Business
- Presenter, Considerations When Selling a Business
- Presenter, How to Protect Your Intellectual Property for Little or No Money
- Presenter, How to Choose an Entity
- Presenter, Estate Planning Myths and Realities
- Presenter, Will Contests